![]() |
| Dressed to impress!! My little doll... |
![]() |
| Riding in style! |
I mentioned all this to the Geneticist, so he says he'll be emailing Mia's most recent MRI to a group who specializes in only Pontocerebellar Hypoplasia, and they'll be able to see whether or not she has it. If it looks like she does, then they'll do blood work (it can now be found via blood) to confirm. I'm going to be calling the Geneticist team this week to see if they've sent the MRI yet.
The main specialist that should have provided the most help was the Oral Surgeon. She was obviously not thinking clearly. From the last blog I mentioned Mia's mouth being very tight and there not being a whole lot of jaw movement. We showed this doctor Mia's limited jaw movement and she asked if Mia's eating anything by mouth. We told her no, because she can't open her mouth and that she gets everything through the g-tube. Her wonderful professional opinion was that once Mia is less dependent on the g-tube, then we can think about doing something with her mouth. I repeated what she said. Jay (the RT who went with us) repeated what she said. Robert repeated what she said, all making sure we understood her correctly and if that's really what we heard. To all of us, she said, yes. We're thinking, "Are you CRAZY?!" How in the WORLD is Mia supposed to be less dependent on the g-tube if she can't open her mouth to eat?? Yeah, we were less than happy. Oh, another thing this fine doctor said was that she wouldn't do any kind of surgery until Mia is full grown - around 16 or 17 YEARS old.
![]() |
| Blue lips!! =) |
![]() |
| Mommy's birthday |
![]() |
| In a few seconds, she'll start screaming and kicking. |
![]() |
| She's loving Cubbies! |
She loves doing her Preschool (meets every Tuesday morning) homework as well, and starting tomorrow, we'll be starting our homeschooling. That's definitely been keeping me very busy - and it hasn't even started yet!! It'll be fun - I'm pretty nervous, but I know once I get started, I'll love it and I'm sure Mercedes won't notice if I make a mistake here or there. She's so ready and willing to learn. It's wonderful. =)
Robert, Mercedes and I have been pretty consistent with waking up and going for a 4 mile walk in the mornings before he goes to work. We've gone for walks in the evenings, but I definitely prefer seeing the sunrise instead of it being totally dark when we come back.
With us being sick for the past few days, we hadn't gone for walks, but we definitely made up for it yesterday! We did an 8 mile walk yesterday morning to Vasona/Oak Meadow parks. It was a really nice walk! I woke up a little stiffer than usual today, but ... haha Mercedes had a great time since this time she was actually able to get out of the stroller and play on the Air Force jet they have there and go down the slides and swing. She's finally figuring out how to swing!! She's doing a great job!
![]() |
| Oak Meadow Park!! |
Nasal swabbing was no walk in the park for Mercedes. It took the nurse, myself and my Mom to hold Mercedes down. They got the two swabs they needed and if it comes back positive for Whooping Cough, we'll find out today. Either way, we'll hear from the doctor tomorrow. If it is positive we need to let CRC know right away so they can test Mia and put her in isolation. Mercedes' doctor isn't taking any chances, so she already put Mercedes on the medicine to treat Whooping Cough because she's worried about Mia. I love this doctor! Kimberly Pitts-Davis, for those of you in the SJ area!!
Right now, Mia is pretty sick. They've had to increase her breath rate from 14 to 22 to keep her c02 down, and she's requiring more oxygen to keep her sats up. She's super junky and we're just hoping it's only a cold that Robert and I had earlier this week and nothing more. Jay changed some orders so she's getting an extra breathing treatment to loosen secretions and they're doing it via IPV instead of the regular nebulizer treatments.
Robert is enjoying his new job and his boss and coworkers. We're very grateful that he was able to get this transfer. It's definitely what we all needed. Right now he's working the Salinas Air Show, kind of at the last minute because they needed someone. It kind of worked out anyway, since Mercedes and I are skipping church, Cubbies and 2 extended family functions today since we don't know if she's positive or negative.
Keep us in prayer!
Blessed,
Rachael
![]() |
| This pic is too cute not to post! She's getting physical therapy with Karen. =) |








No comments:
Post a Comment