Saturday, April 28, 2012

Big changes ...


If anybody still checks the blog, a lot has happened since my last post ...

The Happiest Place on Earth!
In September, Robert, Mercedes, my parents-in-law, my sister and myself made another trip to Disneyland for my birthday. :) That was so much fun! Mercedes, the little dare devil that she is, went on The Tower of Terror! I had agreed that I would only go on it if Mercedes did, thinking that she wouldn't. Yeah, that backfired on me! Haha It was a fun ride.... once I got used to the idea. :)

At my best friend's wedding in mid October
Mia a.k.a. Minnie Mouse and Mecedes a.k.a. Figaro for the Halloween Parade at CRC
In October I had a major hernia repair. The hernia itself wasn't bad, but the doctor pinned mesh (about the size of a dinner plate) to my abdominal wall. That is the most pain I hope to ever be in again ... thankfully I recovered well (3 months) and it only occasionally hurts, but thank God, I'm okay now!

Photographers came to CRC and took family pictures of the patients in November
Sitting up with Daddy's help in the hospital crib in the PICU. Feeling so much better already!
On Thanksgiving around 4am, I received a call saying Mia wasn't doing well and she was going to be rushed to the PICU, where she stayed for about 5 days. It seemed like it was another UTI she was dealing with, but she wasn't stabilizing on the vent for a day or two.
Beautiful Meesters in the PICU, feeling better, after a bath

Christmas picture 2011
Mia's first time home on the 4 hour pass 2 days before Christmas!
Beautiful sisters
In December, I was so sick of being 'stuck' at CRC and I didn't want to spend another family Christmas at the hospital, so I talked with the staff to see what it would take to take Mia home for 4 hour passes. Long story short, Robert and I both finished our training and brought Mia home for the first time (just us and our girls) on December 23rd. :) God granted the desire of my heart and we had our first quiet Christmas at home with Mercedes and Mia. :) We've brought Mia home almost every weekend since then with the exceptions of us being out of town; if it was raining; or if any of us were sick. Mia loves being home! It's so relaxing to be out of the facility.

Mia turns her head to line up her lips exactly where mine are - so cute!! I love her kisses.
One of my favorite things Mia has started doing is giving and receiving kisses!!! It's so adorable!! Mia is really interacting more. It's so neat to see her play on her iPad. We're so proud of her. :)

On January 1st, Robert talked about the possibility of buying a condo next door to CRC, so we worked with a Realtor and there were several options to finally get out of the 1 bedroom 600 sq ft apartment we've been in for 2 years. Next door would have been ideal because we would be able to bring Mia home as often as everyday if we wanted, but it just never worked out.


First day at school! Everyone loved the "new girl"
Kindergarten field trip to a local farm 2 weeks ago
Ever since Mia's hospitalization on Thanksgiving, it threw off our homeschooling schedule with Mercedes and my stress load got ridiculously high. My perfectionist tendencies didn't make things any better. I wanted to do everything myself ... my patience level was very low with Robert and Mercedes so Robert had an idea to talk with the school across the street from us and they happened to have a spot available. Mercedes started her first day of Kindergarten at Farnham Elementary School on January 11th and she's doing so well! She loves Ms. Davis and the class loves Mercedes.  :) My stress level has decreased and it's been nice to be able to spend time with Mia and I can finally be with her when the therapists see her, etc.
Papa holding the Birthday Girl - and showing her the balloons
Tasting her birthday cake!
Mia's teacher - I'm very proud to report that Mia stays awake most of the time at school!
In February, Mia celebrated her 3rd birthday at home with friends and family. :) It was a lovely party and she loved it! All the girl cousins got their nails done and they got all dolled up! The Monday following Mia's birthday, she started preschool onsite at CRC. In the mornings, I drop off Cedes at school, then cross the street, go to CRC and finish getting Mia ready, then take Mia to school.  Then I have my time from 8:45-10:15, then I go back to CRC to spend time with Mia. I still don't get everything done that's on my to do list, but I'm so grateful Mercedes is getting school in and I'm able to spend lots of time with Mia. :)

Hitting some balls and having fun while at Beale AFB for Spring Break. So nice to get away.
About 3 weeks ago, after getting away to Beale AFB for the week during Mercedes' Spring Break and getting much needed rest and family time [side note: our apartment is one bedroom, 600 sq ft. The house on base was 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Yes, it was VERY nice to not be bumping into each other and getting projects done!], we visited Mia and I don't even remember what happened, I just know I was so anxious and I started getting tears in my eyes and I told Robert "we need to get her outta here!" That's nothing new to him... I've been saying that for about 2 years. His usual response is that we will in about 2 years - when she's around 5 years old. We left to go get dinner at the best Italian restaurant in Campbell - Al Castello's, and Robert shocked me with what he said to me over dinner. With his new job change coming up next week with the Air Force, he will be working at Lockheed Martin in Sunnyvale. He suggested we look for a house a little closer to his work, and bring Mia home.  He also suggested that maybe my parents can move in with us as well. I was stunned. It totally didn't sound like the Robert I've known for 8 years!!

We started actively looking for houses but nothing came by near Lockheed. We looked a little more south of San Jose and there were a lot of options in our price range for at least twice the space as you could get in SJ. Long story short, we proposed our idea to my parents and after thinking it over, they agreed, so the search for the perfect layout began. While looking at model homes with out Realtor last weekend, she came across a lovely year old house that suited our needs perfectly. She told us we should really look at it - it had just gone on the market that morning.  The layout was ideal. Two bedrooms and a bathroom for my parents at the front of the house, and the master and 4th bedroom at the back of the house to give us all privacy, and the formal dining room is perfect for Mia's room. Not having doors is great so we can hear alarms and central to the living areas, etc.

We all agreed the layout was great, but we wanted to see it one more time.  We went back on Sunday afternoon (not fun for me or Mercedes since I had a scratched eyeball and could barely see anything, and Mercedes was fighting 105.2 fevers due to having influenza b, we found out Monday) We went to our realtor's office Monday afternoon and put in an offer - ours was the second offer on the house. With our offer, we attached a letter explaining Mia's condition and they she's been in the hospital since birth, etc. We included family pictures as well. Tuesday morning we found out that the owners counter offered both offers and ...... we got the house! They are waiting for their new home to be finished being built, so we get the keys August 7th. It gives us about 3 months to get nursing and all the paperwork and insurance stuff figured out to bring Mia home - finally!!! The house is located in they very northern part of Gilroy. :)

Our new home in Gilroy, CA
We are so grateful and know God is blessing us beyond measure! I never imagined Mia would be coming home this soon!! :) Seems so unreal. :)

Keep praying for us. It's going to be a lot of work getting everything ready, etc. We're not sure what we'll be doing as far as a wheel chair accessible vehicle... God will open the door for that I'm sure.

We do need to move out of the apartment by June 1st when our lease is up, so we need to stay somewhere for the 2 months. We may be able to stay with my parents, but but my sisters dog doesn't quite like cats ... :) Lots of unknowns still! We're trusting God... He's faithful! :)

That's what has been going on with us. :)

Hope you're well!

Blessed,
Rachael

4 comments:

  1. Rachael, I am so excited for you!!! I will pray that God will work out each detail for you. He is faithful, so I know He will. I can't wait to see how He brings it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome, Rachael! I am so happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting here with tears of happiness for you all! :) I love you Rach! You're pretty cool too, Robert! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachael, you just came to my mind today and I went looking for you on FB and saw you weren't on anymore. Thankfully, I remembered your blog and was able to see your wonderful news. This post brought tears to my eyes! What an amazing blessing that you will all get to be together and bring your sweet Mia home. Prayers for a smooth transition in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete