Yesterday Mia had a rough day - just in a much different way than the 3 previous days. Her ventilator settings were slowly coming down and her co2 was much better, and she wasn't requiring as much oxygen which is always nice. She has some sort of respiratory bug and is being treated by an inhaled antibiotic. Today her secretions are much better and less from trach, nose and mouth.
The main issue with Mia was she was so tired, but was fighting her sleep. She had been awake since 6:45am and the entire time I was with her, she had taken serveral naps, but, combined, it was only about an hour. She had her legs flailing which made us have to tape pillows to the sides of the crib to protect herself from further bruising her poor little feet. When pm shift came on at 3pm, I told her nurse Dennis that I'm not one to drug my child, but that I really felt she needed something to make her rest. He said that he agreed and that if she wasn't asleep by the time he came back from break at 8pm, he'd give her a dose of Adivan. I called at ten to see if she had fallen asleep yet and he said that even though he gave her the med at 8, she was still fighting ... she wanted to stay awake. I don't know what she thought she was going to miss out on!! Haha My poor honey.
I called noc shift this morning to see how she did (if she slept!) and the nurse said she finally fell asleep at midnight and woke up at 6am. Only 6 hours of sleep for an exhausted 3 year old? Not so good!
She hasn't been as restless today, but still... she's been awake since 6am and it's now 4:30pm and she's only slept about 2 hours total. She was asleep when her Nana and Pops came to visit and woke up when her other visitor was here. :)
Dennis and I were talking about how bruised up Mia's right foot is from banging it on the crib, and how the soles of her feet are all red from clapping them together all the time, so I decided I would put her socks and shoes on ....
Her shoes are magic!!! As soon as I put them on, she fell asleep and has been asleep for about an hour! Haha So glad she's finally getting rest. :)
Dr. Silva and the on-call doctor, Dr. DiCarlo, both say Mia's ready to go back to CRC, so if nothing changes over night, we'll head back there tomorrow. :) It's always nice coming to the PICU at Good Samaritan Hospital when Mia needs extra care... we love the staff here and they all love Mia so much which is just as important! :) This is Mia's 5th or 6th visit since she was just 5 months old, so the staff has seen her grow up and develop over her 3 years! :)




No comments:
Post a Comment