Thank you so much for praying for Mia and our family.... I feel like I always ask for prayer... but get used to it!!! Pray like crazy for Mia's healing! She's improved greatly - except for the respiratory area. She's made some small improvements, but Dr. Silva and the RT's are very concerned about her lungs. They're very stiff and are requiring a lot of pressure to inflate her lungs. Dr. Silva is worried that that with so much pressure, the little "balloons" inside the lungs will get damaged very quickly. There isn't any type of medicine or procedure that they can do to cause fast new growth, so they're worried that they'll be getting damaged faster than new growth will happen.
Here are the images from Mia's CT scan of her brain. The LEFT images are of a child around Mia's age. The images on the RIGHT are of Mia's brain. You can see the vast difference.
The grey is brain. The black is water. The white is skull.
Dr. Silva says it's not really Hydrocephalus because the surgery for that (the shunt in the head to drain the fluid) won't do much because there's so little brain that even if they drained the water, it'd just fill up the empty space again.
At first the images really scared me - which is why I haven't written about it until now, but God can do anything!!! He can replace any cell in her body. I have been praying since Mia's birth that whatever cells are missing, that if it's God's will, He will replace them.
What gets me is that with the smaller percentage of brain that Mia does have, she has come so far in her development!!! How much brain do we actually use anyway?? =)
So.... this does give us a much better way to pray now that we have a better picture of what's going on inside Mia's body.
- Pray for Mia's lungs so she doesn't require as much pressure from the vent. Ultimately to be weaned from the ventilator.
- Pray for Mia's brain that God would cause it to grow.
- Mia's c02 to be stabilized.
- Mia's surgery the day after her birthday - February 5, 2010 - to put the tubes in her ears.
Have a Merry Christmas! =)
Thanks so much for sharing the intimate details. :o) I had a feeling that you weren't posting due to needing some space...and I can understand that! The images are scary, yet you are correct...our Creator can do anything, if it's be HIS will! That's the beauty of faith and hope. We can have hope and faith in God that only HE can supply!!
ReplyDeleteThanks again for the update. This blog gives us all more clarity on specifics we can pray over for Mia. :o)
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
thanks for this update. Its good to know specifically what we can pray for. Those pictures made ME cry; I can't imagine them being of my baby :(
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing God we serve! He created every cell in Mia's body and like you said, He can easily replace and restore missing or damaged cells. What a testimony of His love and mercy that would be! I'm going to pray the same as you; that He WILL replace the missing cells and use Mia to show what a great Healer He is.
Love you guys - Merry Christmas!
ps. Rachael, you're looking fabulous!
I agree with Stef...you look gorgeous!! Thinny minny!!! LOL
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear Mia made it back to CRC safe and sound. Definitely lots of stuff to pray about...now I can be more specific in my prayers for Mia. Our God is a God of miracles, nothing is too hard for Him! I've been reading through the gospels recently, and seeing Jesus' compassion for people and all the people He healed is amazing. Praying for Christ to heal Mia too!
ReplyDeletePsalm 30:2 "O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me."