Monday, June 15, 2009

A few new things ...

Hello again,

Well, Mia is doing a few new things, which is really exciting!! The other day Mom was holding her and she noticed Mia had a lot of spit building up in her mouth (because she can't swallow) and Mom saw Mia's little throat moving and the spit disappeared!! Mia swallowed!!! The RT, Audry, was right there as well and saw Mia swallow... pretty neat!!

A few minutes after that, Mom asked Audry to keep an eye on Mia's oxygen level and heartrate and Mom stood Mia on the bed to see what she would do... and Mia was holding her own weight! Mom said Mia's legs got really strong and she was standing really well... of course, her head was falling, though, because her neck muscles aren't the greatest right now. =)

During her physical therapy, the main thing Scott is working with is to teach Mia to hold her head up and to roll over. Mia's neck HAS gotten stronger, but it's still really "floppy". Keep praying for her muscle tone that it will keep building.

A week ago, I was on one side of Mia's crib, just looking at her and talking with her and I decided I'd change her diaper. So I walked around the crib to the other side to change her and Mia followed me as I walked, not only tracking with her eyes, but she moved her head as I walked around, too!!! Renee was there to see that and we were both so shocked and so excited!!!

Mia is blinking a lot now, too! She used to just look up and down, up and down; or close her eyes when she slept. Even then, her eyes wouldn't close completely when she slept. Now she closes her eyes completely and blinks all the time!! Being that she's doing that, her eyes aren't nearly as "goopy" anymore. I'd always have to be cleaning her eyes because nasty stuff would keep building up. Now I only clean them about once a day just to keep her eyes beautiful! =)

Yesterday at church, a pastor, a couple elders and a wife prayed for and over me for our family and Mia's healing. I've been so exhausted lately physically, emotionally and spiritually, so it was wonderful to have been prayed over. I know there are so many people praying that I don't see and I know without you all praying, I would have been stressed out from the very beginning! God has given us the strength we need and He will continue to bless us just as He has been! We just need to keep focused on the Truth and don't lose sight of what God is teaching us. =)

I was able to visit with Mia yesterday before church for about 1 1/2 hours which was great. Mia was in her swing in the hallway. It's so cute to interact with the little kids - they're so precious! When I came back in the afternoon, Audry told me that a group from church came to visit. I guess my shocked look gave it away that I had no idea what she was talking about. She got a little nervous because I didn't know those people were going to visit, so she called the gal who was at the front desk when they arrived. Turns out it was Cathy Denton bringing her Sunday School class of kids to see Mia through the window!! Everytime Mrs. Denton has come, I haven't been there!! I'm so bummed!! =) I haven't talked with her yet to get the details or anything, but all I know is that there were kids looking at Mia through the window, so the nurse took Mia out of bed and took her to the window so the kids could see her. They prayed for Mia through the window... isn't that so sweet??

I talked with the nurse and she said that next time there's a big group, we can take Mia to the lobby so everybody could see her at once! =) I didn't realize we could do that! She said being that I'm not "trained" yet, that a nurse can go out and sit there during the visit to make sure Mia's fine until we are trained! =)

Have a wonderful week, everybody!

Always,
Rachael <3

No comments:

Post a Comment