Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Maybe an explanation...

Hi Everybody,

This week has been interesting and hard because Robert has gone back to work, so we head to the hospital to visit Mia around 4pm. It's hard only having about 2 1/2 hours to visit with her - and this time change doesn't help!! It always feels like we have more time than we actually do because it's still so sunny outside - it makes the time fly by too quickly! But we are definitely grateful for the time that we are able to spend with her. =)

When we got to Mia's bed yesterday, we noticed that her numbers were great (co2), but her vent settings were up a lot higher than they've been in a long time. Apparently every time she was desating in the past few days, she had been having seizures that nobody realized. So they increased the dose of the Phenobarbital for her body weight and she's doing so much better. But, because of the increase, it's kinda knocked her out, so she's hardly taking any breaths above the vent settings. The doctors and nurses say that it should take her a day or two to get used to it and then she should start picking up again. Pray that she does!

She has an MRI scheduled for sometime tomorrow, then we have our family conference with the doctors and nurses at 3pm tomorrow as well.

It takes so much work to be able to hold Mia (2 nurses to take her out... and put her back in the bed). The NICU has been pretty understaffed as well, so it's even harder to find another nurse to help at any given time. We all know how important it is for babies to be held - especially by their Mommy and Daddy. That skin to skin contact is vital... pray we're able hold Mia on a daily basis and not feel like we're a bother to the nurses. Also, pray that the doctors and nurses will realize just how important this is in a baby's development as well.

Robert flys out to San Jose on Friday morning. Renee is going to pick him up from the airport, then will head up to San Francisco to pick up our new car, then Robert will drive back to Las Vegas on Saturday
... then I'll finally have a car!! Pray for safety for him both with the flight and drive back(Robert's car is a 5-speed.... I've driven it once up to Reno, but that's only because I rarely had to change gears... and I'm not confident enough to drive it around town!! Okay... I'm scared to death to drive it around town!) I'm excited... I've wanted a Passat since I was around 16... then a few years ago, we decided we'd love our next car to be a Passat Wagon ... and that's what God has blessed us with!! =)

Trusting God,
Rachael

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are able to still see Mia for a little bit since Robert has returned to work. I pray that she gets better everyday, and that she adjusts well to her meds. Prayers also for a productive family meeting tomorrow. :o)

    If I see a Jetta TDI driving crazy on the road, I'll know it's you and make sure to stay FAR away!!! LOL Does your mom drive a manual transmission??? Gosh, I need to take you out and teach you in my Subaru how to drive a manual...it could be really fun with a ton of Starbuck's in our system!!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying, Rachael and we're so thankful to you for these updates. I can imagine this is the last thing you feel like doing right now, with everything else on your mind, so we really do appreciate it.
    I'll be praying for these things you asked prayer for.
    I think its great that you're wanting the nurses to understand skin to skin contact is best - just remember to stay relaxed. If they say no, don't let it stress you out so much that Mia can sense it. God will bless her and heal her in ways we can't imagine.
    We'll be praying for Robert as well.
    God bless you guys!
    We love you, J&S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so thankful you guys were able to find a new car! And I have to tell ya Rache, you look absolutely beautiful in that pic! Your one hot mama. ;)

    ReplyDelete