- That she has poor vision/doesn't have vision
- That she failed her hearing test
- That her vocal cords are paralyzed and will probably never talk
Mia CAN see ... I know she can!!! The nurse was basing her conclusion on what another nurse thought because Mia wasn't tracking at that particular time. Mia has tracked things before on several occasions. Her responses aren't like those of a "normal" 3 month old (yes, she's turning three months old on Monday... I can't believe it!!) - she's a little slower and responds in her own way when she can. When I hold her, she just gazes at her Mommy who loves her soo much! She'll look at our family Christmas picture that is taped to the inside of her bed, as well as a picture of Mercedes holding the soccer ball. She also likes looking at her pink toy that her three Sunrise nurses gave to her. In her swing, she likes looking at the lights that softly blink different colors ... my baby can see. =)
Last week, Mia got her hearing test done, but she was quite active during it. The gal doing the test said that it's normally done to newborns and they basically sleep all the time, anyway, so being that Mia's older (AND had just had an albuterol treatment which gets you all jittery), she couldn't finish the test because she was moving around too much. She didn't fail it - it was incompleted. She can hear, too. =) I remember when Karla and I were talking about whether or not Mia could hear, I was taking Mia's temp at the time and Mia jumped when the thermomitor beeped by her ear! I started laughing and said "Yep! She can hear!" Just yesterday, a nurse was opening a little box of formula for the baby next to Mia, and just the sound of the cardboard tearing, Mia jumped. =)
On Saturday night, Robert called the hospital to see how Mia was doing and the nurse put the phone to Mia's ear so Robert could talk to her. The nurse told Robert that Mia was acting very uncomfortable and was arching her back and wiggling her feet, but when Robert started talking, she stopped - until she took the phone away and then she started up again. Isn't that so touching?? Her Daddy's voice alone soothed her!
Mia is having a 2 hour hearing test tomorrow (Wednesday) at 1pm. They're going to sedate her a little bit so she's not so active and so that they can finish the test this time. =) Be praying!
Last week during the bronchoscopy, the doctor said that her vocal cords appeared to be paralyzed and that Mia may never talk because of that. Well ... on Sunday night, Mia's new primary nurse Linda was sitting Mia up and Mia started cooing!! Mom and I heard it (as we've thought we've heard for several weeks) and then we heard Linda say "Are you talking to me...?" Mia continued grunting for a while ... it was so sweet!!
There are two children who are getting ready to be discharged from The Children's Recovery Center and once a bed is available, Mia will be transfered there!! It'll be so nice to have her so much closer to San Jose - she'll only be about 5 miles away from my parents' home!! I do like driving, so Oakland isn't terrible, but it'll sure be nicer to not have to be on the road so much to see my baby! (Or to have to see a gas pump so frequently!) Keep praying for the insurance situation - that everything would be covered like they said it would be.
Since The CRC won't have a heated bed for Mia, they've put her back in a crib so she can get used to regulating her own temperature and so far she's been doing pretty good! Linda says she looks like she's camping in the dead of winter with all her blankets and gear, but she's keeping warm, so that's a good thing!! My poor baby has had bad luck with where her bed has been - she's always right under a vent!! She's back to wearing her clothes, too... and she's getting big!! I can't believe it! She's gained almost 4lbs to the ounce since birth and has grown somewhere around 3 - 3 1/2''... I love changing her diapers because you can see her little rollies... it's so cute! She was so skinny compared to Mercedes - Cedes was a rolly polly at birth!! =) Now Mia's getting rolly and Mercedes is thinning out! It's cute. =)
So... all this to say... nothing is impossible for God!! He's the one who created Mia (and all of us) ... He can create and do a miracle in her body! I believe that He can have her underdeveloped brain "catch up" so it's normal if that's what His will is. I am looking forward to the day that the four of us will be at home together enjoying each other!! I'm also looking forward to Mia being wire, tube, and cord-free!! One day!! =)
Blessings to you all,
Rachael
Please email (rachaeladamis@yahoo.com) me with your name and location if you're praying for Mia!
I've also added new pictures to my albums:
Keep the faith! You know your baby better than doctors and nurses do. I too believe that she has some/full vision and hearing because I remember her turning toward us when we would talk to her (the last time I saw her b4 you left). Take care, and stay STRONG! You're doing such an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteYour friend Shannon is SO right. You're her Mommy... you know her better than those nurses and Dr's. Just don't let them get you down and remember to encourage Mia.
ReplyDeleteI imagine she's getting her cues from you and not them. ;)
Also, she has just had an incredibly big move and I would guess that would set her back just a bit. Poor Mia. I wonder if she ever feels like she's performing every day. I know its their job, but still...
we're praying for you guys!!
I can't believe how fast time has flown and how big Mia has gotten! Praying the hearing test went well yesterday!
ReplyDeleteI don't remember how I found your blog, but I have been reading it ever since. Your daughter is amazing. Way to prove those doctors wrong! :)
ReplyDelete