Not too much has happened since I last wrote. The hearing test did happen that following afternoon, but the doctors didn't want to have to sedate Mia, so I held her during the test (which typically relaxes her enough to fall asleep), and she was sleeping until the tech attached the probes to her forehead and ears and had to put the little ear phones in her ears... then she was wide awake! Even with her very slight movements, it was still too much for the test to work, so it wasn't able to be completed again. The tech said it's not a big deal if we're unable to get the test done before she leaves for the Children's Recovery Center. If we absolutely need the test done, I'm sure there will be a way to have it done there.
One bit of excitement that happened Thursday evening was Mia's heart rate dropped and stayed down for about 15 minutes! Mia had been in her swing and I was just talking to her and we were enjoying each other. Nurse Linda got Mia's feeding going and then she went on her dinner break. About 2 minutes after she left, I noticed Mia's heart rate went down into the mid 70's on the monitor and I didn't think much of it because at times she Brady's but brings herself back up in 2-3 seconds. But this time, her heart rate wasn't going above 80 at all. Her doctor, Nick Mickas was right there when it happened, so that was good!! She had quite the flurry of doctors and nurses around, which was nice that they were actually thinking something of this. Two neonatologists, one resident, one respiratory therapist, the charge nurse, as well as 3 other nurses were all there trying to figure out what was going on. The first thing they did was get Mia back in her bed. Mia was breathing normally on her own; her oxygen saturation was at 100%, she was breathing room air (21%); she was pink and didn't have a care in the world... the only thing different we could think of that she got a bolus gravity feed, so all her milkies went in her tummy very quickly (in about 4 minutes), instead of being fed with a feeding machine which makes the feeding take about 45 minutes.
They think that her tummy got too full too quickly, and the pressure of her tummy could have put pressure on some nerves which could have "tickled" her heart. They ordered an xray to be done because they thought maybe her trach was sitting too low, but as soon as the xray tech got to Mia's bedside, her heart rate shot right back up to where it should be because the RT rolled up a little blanket and put it under her shoulders! Not totally sure why that did the trick, but I'm glad it did!! =) Now the doctor ordered Mia's feeds to only be done my the feeding pump at 25ccs over an hour to see if her heart rate Brady's again. If it doesn't, they're going to assume it happend with the gravity feed.
Yesterday I woke up feeling much more congested than normal, so I wasn't sure if it was just really bad allergies or if I was getting sick. I called the hospital and told them that I didn't want to take a chance, so I never saw my baby yesterday!! I came back down to San Jose (I was staying at Robert's aunt's home in Castro Valley) and I'm also going to stay down here today as well. It works out great, though, because the rest of my family was invited to a wedding today, so I'm able to stay home to watch Mercedes while they're there. =) I'm feeling fine today - it just feels like my typical sinus issues, so I'm not sure that I ever was sick, so I should be able to see my Mia tomorrow! =)
If you're healthy, please come visit Mia!! I don't have to be there for you to visit ... visiting hours are from 8am-8pm. I'd love for you to meet her if you haven't ... and I know she loves the company! I'm so glad there were volunteers yesterday because they were able to hold Mia since I wasn't able to! I'm sure someone will be able to hold her today as well. =)
Robert's in LA with some buddies going backpacking - at least I think he's there! He wasn't sure if they'd have cell phone reception where they were, so I haven't heard from him, but I'm sure they made it. =) They're planning on being back in Vegas tomorrow evening. I'm glad he's able to do this - he needs time to get away! =)
Hope you all are staying healthy and not being exposed to this crazy swine flu!
Much love,
Rachael
My baby is going to be 3 months old on Monday!! I can't believe it!!
Please email (rachaeladamis@yahoo.com) me with your name and location if you're praying for Mia!
OH, what a heart rush that must have been for you when Mia had the heart rate episode! I'm glad that everything worked out. Sorry to hear you had to refrain from seeing her, and if I lived closer, I'd surely go see her. But alas, I'm way too far away to make it a day trip! Maybe one of these days I can come out there san kids and keep you and mom company--that'd be fun! Glad to hear as well that Robert is able to get a trip in. He does deserve a break, but you do too! Ahhh...it's hard for us mommies to leave our kids behind!
ReplyDeleteLove ya!!!